Monday, July 27, 2009

Chapter 20: Brotherly Love

“Going somewhere little brother?”
Tanner looked up at the perfect face of Oisin and wanted to punch him hard. Instead he got into a more comfortable position “Guess not” he said nonchalantly.
“I could kill you” announced the fey his eyes flashing.
“Go ahead” said Tanner who wasn’t the least bit bothered by the statement; he had heard too many times the past year for it to hold any meaning.
Oisin tilted his head and stared at Tanner who stared right back at him. Then to both their surprise Oisin laughed and sat down next to him. “Too much of a bother; you may live to see another sunrise.”
“How gracious of you” said Tanner giving a slight bow of his head making Oisin laugh again.
“If you had come from another lineage I think we could have been friends” said Oisin with a shake of his head.
“And here I thought you held nothing but hate for me...”they both laughed “I think so too; the friend thing” agreed Tanner after a slight pause “But the way things are right now...You know I don’t want this...” he swept his arm out to indicate the land.
“Strangely I think I do. Though most would kill for the Crown you, Lorcan, are merely content to continue as you are” Oisin studied him as he spoke; “And that is why Father will hand the kingdom to you”
“And why I will turn it down. It is not the life for me Oisin; and please call me Tanner I hate to be called Lorcan...it doesn’t even seem like my name if you know what I mean” said Tanner as he watched the leaves rustle in the breeze.
“No, I do not but I will call you by that mortal name if that is your wish” said Oisin.
“It is” said Tanner vehemently.
“Well; is this not heart warming?” said a voice to their left. Both Tanner and Oisin turned towards it and saw Cayden leaning against the thickest birch, a shiny red apple in one hand and a knife in the other. He continued to slice a wedge off the fruit and bite into it with a loud crunch. As he ate he stared at Tanner who remained silent. “Father wishes for you to join him in the great hall.” Giving a curt nod Tanner made to leave but paused to wait for Oisin. “Alone” Cayden added earning a glare from both his siblings.
“We shall speak more after this evening’s meal” said Oisin to Tanner who was still hesitating at the edge of the trees. Glancing between the two fairies Tanner finally left.
Oisin began to leave as well when Cayden threw up his arm blocking his path. Oisin lifted an eyebrow at him. “I know what you are trying to do brother” said Cayden angrily.
“Oh? And what is that I am trying to do this time brother?”
“It will not work! You hear me? I won’t allow it to!” by this point Cayden was so worked up that he was glowing.
“Temper, temper Cay. As for whatever reason you have this time in that paranoid little brain of yours I am quite certain that it’s a misunderstanding....”said Oisin trying to dodge Caydens beefy frame. “Let me pass!”
“You think I’m so stupid do you? I see how you are trying to win over Lorcan’s affections. Do you honestly believe that he will hand the crown over to you? You are fool if you think as much” said Cayden with a shake of his head.
“I asked you once and I will not ask again. Let me pass” said Oisin calmly. Giving a snort of derision Cayden stepped aside and watched as Oisin walked away from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment