Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Chapter Six: Story Time!

Wynter debated back and forth about the wisdom of driving over to Tanners apartment.... She drove past twice before she settled her mind on going to see him. At least she would get some answers...one way or the other.
Since there were no spaces available in front of his building she was forced to park almost the full length of the street away. This time when the butterflies took flight in her stomach she felt like laughing. Then she wondered if he would think of her as desperate.... and the giddy anticipation turned to dread.
Finger poised above the button for the buzzer she hesitated. Then with a shake of her head and a deep breath she pushed it and waited. The harsh sound echoed in the empty neon lit porch. Then there was a crackle and Tanner’s voice; distorted and broken came over the intercom.
“It’s Wynter” she said assuming he asked who was buzzing him. There was a long pause and then a different buzz sounded and Wynter pulled open the heavy security door. Taking the elevator up to the fifth floor she gave herself a little pep talk, adjusted her bra and stepped out with confidence. Looking left then right she tried to figure out which way his apartment would be....and then gave herself a mental slap on the forehead as she spotted his door almost directly across from the elevator. Giving a sharp rap she smoothed her hair and ran her tongue over her teeth to make sure there would be no lip stick on them.
“You’re not the delivery guy” said Tanner when he opened the door, a twenty in one hand and a confused look upon his face.
“Nope” said Wynter suddenly nervous. “Hope you don’ mind but I couldn’t wait till tomorrow for those answers....” She looked at him waiting for him to invite her inside. When none came she raised an eyebrow at him and asked “Can I come in?”
He ran his free hand through his hair and glanced back before looking at her “It’s a mess in there...”
“I don’t mind...have you ever seen Ray’s place?” she laughed and fiddled with her necklace, twisting the charm between her fingers and drawing Tanners attention to it.
“What kind of stone is that?” he inquired.
“This is a Fairy Cross” she said looking down at the brown stone that had a naturally formed cross in the centre “My sister brought it home for me from Ireland as a birthday gift...It’s supposed to protect the wearer from harm”
“You weren’t wearing this earlier” he said with a frown, his blue eyes lifted to look into hers.
“I had forgotten about it until after....” she trailed off as the phone rang in his apartment.
“Pizza’s here” he said and stepped inside to answer. Wynter stood awkwardly outside, uncertain if she should follow him in or not. She heard him raise his voice and the frustration in it as he spoke and then the click as he hung up.
“Damn things broken...can’t hear a word anyone’s saying...” he explained apologetically. Wynter nodded her head and shifted her weight from one foot to the other.
“Guess I should get going so you can enjoy your supper.....” she said and wasn’t disappointed when he looked at her in surprise.
“Why? I mean you don’t have to go if you’re sure you can handle the mess.....” he said giving her a half grin.
She returned it with a full one of her own and said “You’d be surprised by what I can handle” as she brushed past him.
“Oh?” he asked curiously.
“Mhmm” was all she said as she wandered down the hallway past the kitchen to the living room. He wasn’t kidding about the mess but it wasn’t disgusting like some of the other bachelor apartments she had seen in the past. It was just a little dusty and untidy with its piles of magazines and newspapers.
Tanner strode in a few minutes later with a pizza box in his hands. “Uh...just gimmie a second and I’ll clear a space for you to sit” he said and blushed. Looking around for a place to set the box Wynter couldn’t help but giggle at him. “What?” he asked flustered.
“You’re cute” she said and was pleased when he smiled at her. “Thanks; you’re pretty damn cute yourself” he answered and put the box on top of the television before removing some of the debris from the couch. “Are you thirsty?” he asked while walking into the kitchen.
“A little” she replied and continued to look about the apartment. No pictures decorated the walls nor were there any on the tables. Boxes half opened were scattered about some revealing DVDs and video games while others were filled with books. Various candy wrappers were piled in the centre of the coffee table next to an empty beer bottle and a Pepsi can. Not really one to abide mess she began to straighten it up and as she piled the magazines she came across a thin book about fairies and their lore.
“That one’s mostly bull shit” said Tanner startling her.
“Is this how you knew about the water?” she asked him not bothering to excuse herself for her rudeness.
He placed the drinks down on the table and reached for the pizza box before answering her. “Sort of” was all he said as he put the box on the table and flipped it open to take a slice. “Help yourself” he told her and took a bite.
Wynter ignored the pizza but did take the can of Pepsi. “What do you mean by ‘sort of’?” she asked as she popped it open with a hiss and took a sip.
“Well...you know I really wasn’t expecting to talk to you about this until tomorrow night” he said while fishing off the first slice and reaching for another.
“Sorry...” said Wynter without an ounce of sincerity and decided to have a piece after all. “No more excuses ...just tell me” she said feeling more relaxed then she expected to in his apartment and with him.
“Fine...but you’re going to think I’m nuts...” he said putting the third slice back down and looking at her.
“I think you’re forgetting who you’re talking to Constable Collins” said Wynter turning herself sideways so that she could look him in the face and pointed to herself “Girl who almost got her ass dragged off by invisible fairies....”
He snorted in amusement as he took a drink from his can. “All right...here it goes. Are you sure you can handle it?”
Wynter laughed “Come on! Spit it out!” she said and slapped him lightly on the leg.
“About two or three months ago I felt like I was being smothered...couldn’t move, couldn’t fight...thought I was having a heart attack or something... then just when my vision started to dim and I thought I was going to die I saw it” he paused to take another drink. “I can’t really describe it...”
“Sounds like you were visited by the Hag” said Wynter tilting her head to the side and considering what she had been told.
“The hag?” he repeated but then shook his head. “No; this wasn’t a woman...or least it didn’t look female...Anyways it told me that I needed to come here....You’re looking at me weird” he accused her.
“No...Just thinking...continue” said Wynter grabbing a second slice.
“I thought it was some kind of dream y’know? Ate too much before bed or some thing... But it happened every night for a week. Each time it said the same thing. So I put in for a transfer and when I saw you...and then your brother told me about the call you had made...I thought maybe...”
“So that was your real reason for the third degree that day in the store? You thought maybe I had something to do with those ...visits?”she asked as she took the final mouthful of pop in her can.
“At first yeah” he admitted with a shrug and she laughed.
“What made you change your mind?” she asked.
“It came to me here” he said and all amusement from her face left at the sound of his tone. “It told me to stay away from you and your family...that I had other business to attend to”
The hairs on the back of her neck stood on end. “What other business did it mean?”
He looked at her “I don’t know. I was hoping to find out tonight....”
“Oh?” she said and shifted nervously.
“Yeah...so that I could have more information to give you” he said.
“I sense a ‘but’ coming on....” she said with a small grin trying to mask her disappointment in the dismissal she knew was going to be given.
“Really? Hmm, you really are psychic then....But your being here changes things...”he answered.
“In a good way or a bad way?” she found herself asking.
“Depends” he teased.
“On what?” she demanded while giving him an inquiring look.
“Do I get to kiss you again?”
“I do believe I was the one who kissed you” she reminded him, her eyes alight.
“Oh, right. Better do it again then” he said and she laughed as she moved over to him and kissed him lightly on the lips before drawing away from him.
“Hey! Where are you going?” he asked.
“Over here” she said as she settled back into her spot.
“Oh” he pouted making her laugh again.
“Besides I think it’s about time you took a turn to kiss me” she said while pretending to check her nails.
“But you were doing so well” he said. She gave him a look. “You do realize that you’re putting the feminist movement back by expecting me to make the first move” he argued as he moved over to her.
“Better make it worth it then” she challenged and he laughed before seizing her mouth with his.
The couch springs groaned as they shifted into a laying position. Wynter gasped as his hand ran along her ribs then up to squeeze her breast first over her shirt then under it. As their tongues danced she lifted his t-shirt up and explored the feel of his hard muscles before she tugged it over his head eager for more. He removed hers in the same frenzied fashion and made her moan as he left a trail of damp kisses down her throat to her chest.
All the doors in the apartment slammed open and shut in several successions while the window allowed wind and mist to pour through instantly quelling the would be lovers lustful urges with fear. Shivering from the sudden chill in the room they looked at one another and Tanner raising his voice over the racquet said: “STAY HERE”. Wynter nodded her head even though all she really wanted to do was hold him close and shut her eyes while wishing for it to go away.
Indecipherable whispers filled the space as Tanner moved off of her and cautiously entered the kitchen. When he reappeared he had his gun in his hands and began to search each room. Wynter wondered at him...he should have known better then to grab a gun. Guns were useless against the fey unless of course the bullets were made of iron.
Getting up she felt something brush past her but no harm came to her. Worried about Tanner she searched for something to deter the fey invaders. Unable to find anything made of iron she went into the kitchen. She heard him cry out and panic set in. Flinging open cupboard doors she cursed as she moved cans and boxes out of her way. She could feel them brush past her but they could do little more than that. Just as she was considering giving up she found it. Grabbing the box she ran towards the sound of the fighting.
Reaching the bedroom doorway she stopped. Tanner was on his knees a large male figure standing over him held him by the throat and was speaking to him in a harsh guttural tone. A green light emanated from it and holly berries were tangled in its long hair. It turned to look at her and Wynter almost pissed herself in fear as its hatred washed over her.
Deciding she wasn’t a threat it turned back to Tanner and continued to speak to him in its strange language. Regaining her motor skills Wynter opened the box and tore open several packages. “Take that you green son of a bitch!” she cried and threw the contents on it.
It yowled in anger and then disappeared. Like a great vacuum she could feel the others go too and then the whole apartment seemed unnaturally still. The sound of Tanners gasps for air and the mess on the floor were the only indications of what had occurred. Sitting down beside him Wynter put her arm around him and cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment