Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Chapter 2

Chapter 2: Who needs enemies when you’ve got friends?
“So? Is he hot?” demanded Shannon while leaning over the counter to swipe the chocolate bar from Wynters hands. Stealing it back and biting a huge chunk from it Wynter nodded her head vigorously
“Big baby blues to make your heart melt and an ass you just want to grab and squeeze y’know? He’s shy too which also makes him adorable at the same time” and suddenly the chocolate bar made her stomach roll as Wynter recalled what a klutz and a bitch she must have come across to the new constable.
“Mmmm, I love the shy ones!” purred Shannon and gave Wynter a mischievous grin. “Might have to swing by your place tomorrow morning and check this new Mountie out for myself....less of course you’re calling dibs on him?”
Wynter took another bite and shifted uncomfortably. “I ...doubt that they’ll be at my place tomorrow morning. Ray and I had a fight....”
Grabbing the bar from Wynter and breaking off a chunk Shannon shrugged her shoulders and snorted “So what else is new? You two are always going at it”.
“It was bad...even for us and Tanner had a front row seat ...I was so embarrassed!” said Wynter turning to reshelve the book she had been thumbing through.
“Tanner? You’re on a first name basis with him already?”;exclaimed Shannon in delight; “It’s bout time! Sure it’s been what? Six months since your last date?”
“Longer den that...but yer jumping the gun dere missus...I just met him for God sakes!” said Wynter who was not enjoying the topic at all and suddenly wished that Shannon would just go away and let her work in peace.
“Well so what? Yer not getting any younger y’know....”said Shannon looking at her critically “An’ pretty soon things are gonna go south....”
“Aren’t you just full of good cheer?” said Wynter through gritted teeth.
“Just being honest” said Shannon with a shrug. “It does happen...I mean look at poor Yvonne Connors, she’s only a few years older than us an’ her tits are sagging to her waist....”
“I think having twins might have had a play in that...anyways aren’t you supposed to be cheering me up instead of dragging me down?”demanded Wynter as she began to polish the display case that held the kitschy dust collectors of fishermen and moose that were aimed at the tourist market and those who wished to buy for relatives gone to the mainland for work. A little reminder of home, her boss liked to say....Wynter hated them with a passion....especially the Newfie Joke books.....Why sell things that promote the very stereo type you are fighting against? It made no sense to her.
“I didn’t mean to do that!” said Shannon in dismay “Your right though...so wanna tell me more bout his ass?”
“I really need to get...”began Wynter but the door swung open sending the cheery jingle of sleigh bells above it ringing. Both women turned to see who was coming in and Wynter might have laughed at Shannon’s reaction if she had not been fighting the urge to run and hide. For in walked Tanner still in uniform and clearly looking for something.....or rather someone for once his gaze landed their way he made a bee line for her around the various shelves and other display tables that littered the floor.
“Do you have a moment to talk” he asked her.
“I’ll just be on my way then” said Shannon giving Wynter a knowing smile “Give me a call later and we’ll finish our chat....”
“But...” protested Wynter; however Shannon was already on her way out the door.
“Later!” called Shannon cheerfully, and once Tanner had turned his head she gave Wynter the two thumbs up sign quickly followed by a lewd gesture to indicate that Tanner did indeed have a nice ass. She gave a huge smile and then she was gone.
“Can you go on break?” asked Tanner in agitation.
“Um, sure but I can’t leave the store....Something wrong officer?” said Wynter as she twisted the dust cloth nervously in her hands.
“Constable Woods told me in confidence that you had spoken to him about the location of the body....”he paused to gage her reaction but Wynter revealed nothing but a stoic disposition so he continued on “several hours before it was found. How is it that you weren’t brought in for questioning?”
“Am I a suspect?” asked Wynter coolly even as her body stiffened with tension.
“That’s what I’m trying to figure out” said Tanner keeping his gaze level with hers.
“I liked Sarah....maybe not her choice in men but I had no reason to wish her harm” she replied. “So if that’s all; I really should get back to work.”
“I have to ask you where you were Thursday night between 10 pm and 3 am” said Tanner not in least shaken by her abruptness.
“I was in bed, sleeping. Alone” she replied and tried to ignore the headache that was building as well as the disappointment...
“So you have no alibi?” he asked.
“No” she said wearily and rubbed her temples “Look I didn’t want to share this with you because you will think of me either as a freak or a total nut but I see ....things....stuff that most people can’t.” She gave him a look that pleaded for him to understand.
“What like the kid from Sixth Sense?” he inquired with bafflement.
“Sort of...My Nan used to say that I had the sight...” she began to polish the counter top again in quick restless swipes. “I called Rayne because I knew that Sarah was dead and where she could be found...Mr. Lee was in the other day telling me about the Grade Six class field trip he had planned for Doucette’s woods...I didn’t want a child to find her....”
“So you know who killed her then?” asked Tanner.
Wynter looked him in the face and lied “No...I didn’t see who it was.”
“Have dinner with me.”
Surprised she blinked and said “What?”
“I have a lot of things that need verifying and you have to finish work...so have dinner with me and we can talk about it then with no time constraints” he explained.
The butterflies in her stomach quickly turned to lead. “Look....” she began but he cut her off.
“When does your shift finish?” he asked.
The door flew open and slammed against the wall sending the bells crashing to the floor and upsetting some paper mache dory’s. Wynter quickly rounded the counter and strode to the door to peer out...she saw nothing on either end but people walking or driving past on the narrow street. Backing inside she bumped into Tanner who had followed her. “Sorry” she said and stepped away from him.
“What was that all about?” he asked with troubled eyes.
“Just the wind” shrugged Wynter as she closed the door.
“But there’s no wind today” he argued.
“It’s Newfoundland-there’s always wind” she said as she picked up the boats and set them right. As she was reaching for the bells Tanner crouched beside her and took her wrist in his hand. Intense heat travelled up her arm from where their skin touched and she tried to pull away but he wouldn’t let her.
“You’re holding something back from me” he said as she squirmed “Why?”
“I ‘m not” she said with a shake of her head “Besides I don’t know you well enough to ....” But she trailed off as she stared into his eyes.
“To?” he prompted.
“Let me go” she said and jerked her arm free making the bells jangle jarringly.
“Wynter” he said and she turned to look at him “I have no idea what this is but I intend to finish it” That said he walked out of the store leaving Wynter for the second time that day lost in thought.

2 comments:

  1. I love it!! Shannon is a hoot. And Tracy said her daughter is writing for NaNo, too! Such a small world:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know eh! lol that's awsome bout tracy's daughter..and ty for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete